View Poll Results: Do you find this useful?

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

2 100.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Khenta

How to play Mabinogi with a Joystick!

Tired of playing Mabinogi the keyboard and mouse? Wanted to play in a different way. Well, try to play with a joystick! Thats right! You can play Mabinogi with a joystick, and its very simple!

Heres what you need:
    Program - JoyToKey
    Joystick/Gamepad - Prefered components: At least one analog, 4-8 Input functions or more.

Steps on Installing and Configuration:
    [list=1][*]First, download JoyToKey and extract it to a location of your choosing.[*]Open the .exe in the location extracted.[*]You will notice a window popping with split window and tabs. Familiarize yourself with the function names and stuff before starting. [*]On the bottom left, click "Create" and name it Mabinogi.[/list:o]
    Here is where things may very.

If you want to use D-Pad for mouse:
    [list=1][*]Double click on Left and choose the "Mouse" tab. [*]Under Cursor Movement, click the horizontal bar and slide it to the left to about -27 to -36 then click OK.[*]Do the same for each direction on the D-pad, sliding each bar to the respective direction.[/list:o]
    If you want to use D-Pad...you have to wait until I make sure I do this correctly ^^;

For Setting up buttons:
    [list=1][*]Open up your Control Panel and goto Printers and Hardware then open up the Game Controllers.[*]Find your joystick and goto Properties.[*]Press the buttons on your joystick and to find out the button number and rememberize them.[*]Bring back up the JoyToKey window and double click on the button you wantt to set up.[*]Make sure you are under the Keyboard tab and click on the first Input box with Disabled.[*]Assign a keyboard function (more likely F1-F12 for Mabinogi action bar) to the button, and repeat for each button desired.[/list:o]

And there you have it! Try it out in Mabinogi in an easy place and adjust it accordingly! I will make changes and improvements as I get more feedback! Have fun!

KitaeK27

you just wouldnt get hte quick camera turning and simultaneously fighting and pet commanding at the same time things with a joystick...

not to mention thet typing you have to do... you'd have to let go of the joystick.

or the F keys... not enough buttons to configure i'd say...

its a good idea, but its just not for mabinogi.

BUT.

If i could preset a few keys or commands to a single button a joystick and keep it next to my hand i could find doing a few shortcuts easier.

Khenta

Im not saying use it to play Mabinogi all the time, but you should at least try it once. I wouldnt post something that I havent tried myself and enjoyed. The setup just needs to be tweaking to get it to work to your liking.

If you set up your joystick right you can (at least with an analog one) move your cursor with ease camera with ease. And typing with joystick isnt as hard as you think...at least with practice.

And if you are looking for something to help with hotkeys...try looking at something like this: Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52. I use it personally it it works great. Not only is it a joy stick but a pad to program functions into it. I also use my PS2 control for analog functions so hotkeys isnt an issue for me.

But really, just try it! Even once!

KitaeK27

Quote Originally Posted by Khenta
    Im not saying use it to play Mabinogi all the time, but you should at least try it once. I wouldnt post something that I havent tried myself and enjoyed. The setup just needs to be tweaking to get it to work to your liking.

If you set up your joystick right you can (at least with an analog one) move your cursor with ease camera with ease. And typing with joystick isnt as hard as you think...at least with practice.

And if you are looking for something to help with hotkeys...try looking at something like this: Belkin Nostromo SpeedPad n52. I use it personally it it works great. Not only is it a joy stick but a pad to program functions into it. I also use my PS2 control for analog functions so hotkeys isnt an issue for me.

But really, just try it! Even once!
    that is the hottest thing i've seen in days.
    too bad i'm broke.

Jife Jifremok

Re: How to play Mabinogi with a Joystick!

Watch out, here comes a necro post! WISE FROM YOUW GWAVE!

I'm the kind of person that tries to JoytoKey every PC game I play...but I honestly cannot see how using JtK would help in a game where both the movement and the combat force me to do so much point-and-click, unless I was back in the old days when I used to play X-Com and Command&Conquer on the Playstation using a D-pad. With a PS2 controller, I can at least map a few combat functions to the shoulder buttons and D-pad (sadly, my analog and D-pad seem unable to coexist on my PC unless it's running Phantasy Star Universe, go figure) but I really don't like the idea of using the D-pad like some rotary menu to launch attacks on targets that I'm only gonna be clicking on anyway.

Ah, but that fancy Belkin Nostro SpeedPad n52 thing...well, I've used a similar device several years ago (think all it had was 8 keys) and thought it sucked as it only felt right in games like Diablo where you had to use a mouse and click lots of hotkeys---more hotkeys than would fit on the thing. So, that thing [beastilality].

This direct descendant of that [byproduct of bodily function] with 14 keys and some other doohickeys looks perfect for Mabinogi. The way Mabinogi's HUD is set up seems to allow for intuitive key mapping on those Nostro keys, the red button loks at least somewhat suitable for canceling skills, the D-pad looks like it might work for bringing up menus, and I dunno what to do with the rest of the stuff. If I get the spare money to blow on it, I have a feeling I'd just nickname it the MabiMaster, as I don't see myself playing any other game with it or playing Mabinogi without it (after getting it, of course).

GamerSteve

Short and simple, Joystick is for first person shooters. Use the keyboard.

Oddbrother

It would have been nice if you could set the controls to play Diablo (PlayStation) style. That way, you could only just move around using the D-Pad rather than moving the cursor and selecting all the time. ]

Bosetto

Thanks for this thread.

Does JoyToKey recognize analog sticks?

Khenta

It does, but note this was an old idea i schemed up a while ago to use the Joystick to as a cursor and the buttons for the F-keys. If people are still interested in this, I will put more details into this.

Bosetto

I am, at least. I find my simple Gravis Gamepad Pro very useful, and am considering the purchase of a more advanced controller with analog sticks if it allows precise control of the mouse.

The gameplay is quite suitable for one - using Crtl to lock on mobs, holding down "left click" for autorun, etc. If I find a controller with dual analogs I'd try setting one of them exclusively to camera control...

Example setup:

[img width=480 height=454]http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/9620/padzl7.png[/img]