heavensend

3ML Editor: Editing Midi's.

Okay, so I am new to the whole composing deal. I am trying to use 3ML Editor, and for the most part it seems simple/easy to use. However, I am having trouble editing Midi's.

The troubles is exactly this: I am trying to edit parts out of the song that I don't want/take up too much space.

For example: say I don't want lines 13-25 of a track. I highlight them and delete them. Then, I go to the other tracks and do the same. In all the tracks I delete 13-25, to try and match things up again. However when I am done, and I play the result, the tracks do not match each-other. Why is this? I am using the same concept as deleting one line, then going to the rest of the tracks and deleting that same one line to match the music up again. I am just doing it with 10 or so lines, why is the music not matching?

If someone could help, I would very much appreciate it. It's been confusing me for a while. Thank you in advance.

BlueJaye

Re: 3ML Editor: Editing Midi's.

Try Right-clicking a tab, then click Optimize.

FFVIISephy

Quote Originally Posted by BlueJaye
    Try Right-clicking a tab, then click Optimize.

Did you even read the post?

Anyway, sometimes when I try to make an MM scroll from a MIDI, it doesn't sync up in the first place. Check to see if it's still synced after one the second progression, assuming it has one.

heavensend

Thanks for the reply, sorry I am so late.

So, the thing is when I first import the Midi it DOES match up. It plays fine. But it's when I cut parts out that it stops matching up. I will cut the same part out of every track and yet, the tracks don't match up. It's been confusing me for a while.

FFVIISephy

Quote Originally Posted by heavensend
    Thanks for the reply, sorry I am so late.

So, the thing is when I first import the Midi it DOES match up. It plays fine. But it's when I cut parts out that it stops matching up. I will cut the same part out of every track and yet, the tracks don't match up. It's been confusing me for a while.

It's possible that there are different length markers among each track. Track one could have an l4 preceding it, while track two could have an l4. instead.

You have to be very, very delicate when editing parts into or out of MMLs.

Artim Pennon

Personally, I advise using a midi editor first. Anvil Studio is a free open source editor, that allows a fair bit more flexibility than 3ml. Not however, translation into the MML for copying. However, I prefer to open all midis in this program first and try to figure out which tracks I can use.
    If you are editing already MML songs, then good luck, this won't help you in the slightest.

heavensend

Quote Originally Posted by FFVIISephy

It's possible that there are different length markers among each track. Track one could have an l4 preceding it, while track two could have an l4. instead.

You have to be very, very delicate when editing parts into or out of MMLs.
    Thanks for the reply. So, these length markers... how do I know what to cut out of the Midi, and how do I know that the length markers are different? I mean, I am not just trying to edit the tracks. I am trying to cut parts out of the song. And I am sure you are aware of the numbers to the left of each line. I thought they all matched up. Each track has the same number lines, and plays them at the same time.

Example: I thought that if track 1 is currently playing line number... say 57, then track 2, 3, 4, etc. are also playing line number 57 as well. I tried cutting it that way, but it stopped matching up.

FFVIISephy

Quote Originally Posted by heavensend
    Thanks for the reply. So, these length markers... how do I know what to cut out of the Midi, and how do I know that the length markers are different? I mean, I am not just trying to edit the tracks. I am trying to cut parts out of the song. And I am sure you are aware of the numbers to the left of each line. I thought they all matched up. Each track has the same number lines, and plays them at the same time.

Example: I thought that if track 1 is currently playing line number... say 57, then track 2, 3, 4, etc. are also playing line number 57 as well. I tried cutting it that way, but it stopped matching up.

One line does not always equal one measure. From midis, it usually does, but i've had cases where two different lines marked as being a part of the same measure. All in all, to remove sections, you first have to see how many measures long that part is, then make sure that you remove that many measures from each track. It's probably easier to show you than it is to explain it, but...